1. Style
Desiree Stimpert

Crocs Shoes & Escalator Accidents

By November 10, 2006

Over the last couple of years, Crocs shoes have exploded as one of the biggest footwear trends ever. But over the last couple of months, the rubber clogs have come under some scrutiny due to escalator accidents involving children wearing the beloved colorful shoes.

While Crocs are popular enough to be identified by name after such an accident occurs, it's important to note that other shoes can also pose a risk to riders.

In fact, most recently, a child in Singapore lost her big toe wearing rubber clogs that resembled Crocs, but were actually an imitation brand.

Parents should be aware that any type of rubber or soft, pliable shoes can be problematic, as can long and untied shoe laces.

In recent statements, the Crocs company claimed that "Crocs shoes are completely safe," and went on to point out that escalators that have not received proper care and maintenance pose a risk to their riders. They have called for improved escalator safetey, and are currently designing a new tag that includes safety tips for escalators.

For more details about the accidents, and to get some helpful escalator safety tips, be sure to check out the following resources.

Pictured: Crocs Shoes
Image courtesy of Zappos.com

Comments

November 15, 2006 at 11:19 pm
(1) Crocs Fan says:

For more information about crocs and the people who have made these shoes so popular checkout CrocFans.com

May 26, 2007 at 3:34 am
(2) Jim says:

It’s not the shoes! My daughter nearly lost a toe when she was three when her ordinary sneaker was caught in the edge of the escalator step at the Altamonte Springs Mall in Florida. It’s the escalators!

July 19, 2007 at 12:13 am
(3) Crocs Shoes | Jibbitz | Shoe Charms says:

I think the incidents are very unfortunate and need to be looked at individually. Let’s face it kids need supervision on escalators-period. It does not matter what kind of shoes they have on. How many have hurt their hands in the past year. Do we blame the glove makers. Just my 2 cents.

September 17, 2007 at 7:33 pm
(4) rajat says:

I have thrown away my kids croc shoes. True any sohw can get stuck in escalator, but croc shoe seem to get stuck almost in all cases. Parents just avoid using crox showes

November 5, 2007 at 10:03 am
(5) Jill Ferrer says:

I am always amazed that many parents do not understand the importance of proper footwear. Children move about very quickly and are unaware of their surroundings in moments of excitement. There is nothing wrong with wearing Crocs when worn appropriately and in appropriate places. You would not wear a bathing suit to a wedding, unless the wedding were at the beach. Why would your child wear Crocs while out shopping? They need sure footed footwear. Crocs can be worn in same places where flip flops would be appropriate.

May 3, 2008 at 12:13 am
(6) Shanon Sporseen says:

My 7 yr old son was not horsing around on the escalator, he turned to look at me standing at the bottom off to the side. His father and 13yr old brother were right next to him. His 2day old NIKE tennis shoe got snagged and pulled his foot under the brush guard of which is suppose to be 3/16” from the stair case. ( Yes, his shoe laces were tied ). I want to encourage all victims and victims parents to get a hold of the the American Mechanical Engineers and encourage or demand them to simply put some better safety measures on the escalators instead of blaming the shoes. How did we get safer cars, by just blaming the driver for the faulty brakes. My son’s foot is broke in 2 possibly 3 places. He is very active and loves sports, this may be a hardship off and on through the rest of his life. My children know the rules of the escalator; This situation is not justified at all….

May 3, 2008 at 1:05 am
(7) shoes says:

Shanon,

I’m so sorry to hear about your son. How terrible for him — and for the rest of your family to have witnessed such a thing.

From what I’ve read — and sadly, there have been too many stories like this — some parents are convinced that their child’s footwear has been the issue, while in other cases (such as yours), this clearly wasn’t the case.

The reason for my original post was to warn parents that it wasn’t just Crocs, (in case they thought all other shoes were safe), and also to alert them to the fact that escalators and kids can be a dangerous mix.

What happened with your son is further illustration of this point, and it shows that this is true even in an ideal setting.

I’m sure each case is unique, but I agree that this issue is much bigger than just a footwear problem, or an issue with one particular brand.

To show how long it’s been a problem, my husband was involved in a similar accident as a child in the late 1960s — though fortunately for him, he was spared any major injury.

His shoelaces were tied, but got caught in the escalator anyway, and he was also supervised, and not clowning around at the time.

I do hope that others follow your advice, and that anything that can be done is done soon — make the escalators safer AND the shoes safer … whatever it takes.

I know I’m not the only one who is infuriated and saddened every time I hear that yet another child has been injured.

My best to you and your family. Thanks for sharing your story.

Desiree

June 19, 2008 at 6:12 pm
(8) Larn says:

I’m sorry to hear about that situations, but blame a brand for that…common… I love the Crocs shoes and I believe that we should inform our selves about good brands as Crocs http://www.crocxmania.com that’s a good site to get info.

September 8, 2008 at 1:48 pm
(9) Clare Jones says:

If you hate croccs and are on facebook please join our group

Thanks for any support x

October 30, 2008 at 9:42 pm
(10) steven r says:

What is truly fitting is that the CROCS is being exposed for its corporate greed and for not letting parents know what the company has concealed for so long.. finally, lawyers doing something good! read it at robyablaw.com

November 18, 2008 at 10:45 pm
(11) JIMK says:

I’m 19 and just tonight i lost one of my shoes to a hungry escalator, the soul of my shoes are bubbled and away from the shoe itself it might have been this that the teeth of the escalator caught and if i had my shoes tied i would have definetly lost my toes; the machine did not stop… the mall is buying me new shoes tommorow.

November 18, 2008 at 11:01 pm
(12) JIMK says:

yo it was adidas shoes i was wearing and the laces were tied in a way without dangling at all, plus my souls are impermeable. any questions? the thing popped a bolt and took the whole intire shoe nobody stopped to help or anything just kept on like this sorta thing happens all the time

November 19, 2008 at 3:21 am
(13) shoes says:

Hey Jim,

that sounds awful, I’m very glad to hear it wasn’t worse. Maybe the other people didn’t realize what was going on — at least I’d hate to think that they just ignored it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Best,
Desiree

February 13, 2009 at 6:37 am
(14) monica says:

It happened too many times with CROCS being involved. I’d say the chance of someone’s shoes being eaten by escalator is 1 in 500 when they wear other shoes. But with CROCS, it’s probably almost everytime. Some CROCS fans might say “but they are not supposed to wear it to places with escalator..!” Well, that CROCS’ job to tell their consumer, apparently they suggested that CROCS shoes can be worn everywhere! That’s why now they are fixing the shoes so it wont get caught again. But what about those people who already got their feet damaged?

May 3, 2009 at 9:01 am
(15) Tom Harkish says:

First of all, as the parent of four boys ages 1 to 4, Crocs are a lifesaver – there is nothing easier for getting shoes on feet, even our one year old puts on his own Crocs. That said, I am writing this today because my oldest almost lost his foot today. I was riding down the escalator at the local dept store, holding my son’s hand, when we let out a scream; looking down I was just in time to see his shoe get ripped off his foot, get sucked into the step of the escalator, and get spit out a few seconds later, all tore to pieces. Lucky for us they were ‘fake’ Crocs – cheap material that ripped apart without dragging him in with the shoe. I had never heard of this Croc danger – but now we know. And in the future, our boys will be riding the elevator or standing in the middle of the step on the escalator. One note – while waiting to talk with the manager – who kindly furnished us with a new set of Crocs – I chatted with the customer service lady from the store. Apparently, Croc-eating is a common occurrence with their escalators, so this is pretty serious stuff.

May 4, 2009 at 5:00 am
(16) shoes says:

Hey Tom,

that’s awful — I’m so sorry to hear about it, and I’m so glad to hear that your son wasn’t physically injured.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Best,
Desiree

July 6, 2009 at 1:23 pm
(17) Issa@YouWantToBeRich.com says:

It happened to my daughter too. See it here…

August 16, 2009 at 4:10 pm
(18) BadEscalator says:

Todays escalators are a little safer IF ONE IS PAYING ATTENTION and has the reaction time to hit the EMERGENCY STOP BUTTON as soon as they see something like this is happening. In the old days and some older escalators have not yet been ugraded, there were NO EMERGENCY STOP buttons at both the top and bottom of the escalator. I go to Altamonte Mall quite often and their escalators as well as the stores there now have the EMERGECNY STOP BUTTON that ANYONE CAN GET TOO. It’s a BIG RED BUTTON and labeled EMERGENCY STOP.

These were put into place to prevent these accidents, but if one IS NOT paying attentoo and no one bothers to hit the ES button, you’re on your own!

And it’s NOT just tennis shoes, crocs, flip flops or “cheap shoes” either that escalators eat, they snag HIGH HEELS too, my wife got her right 3″ heel stuck in an older escalator without the Emergency Stop button and had to remove her foot from the shoe, when it hit bottom, the escalator just shredded the 3″ heel right off the bottom and took the back off the shoe, making the shoe completely unwearable after that. And to add insult to that, when she took off her remaining shoe, she was told she couldn’t be in the store without shoes, nor did they offer to make restitution and these were NOT cheap shoes, they had set me back around or just over $225.00 and was I ticked off they wouldn’t pay for the damages! They made her wear the single 3″ heel until she got outside the store! Glad that store is out of business and no longer around. This happened many years ago.

So it goes to show, IT ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT MATTER WHAT STYLE, SIZE or SHAPE YOUR SHOES ARE, THEY CAN ALL POSE A THREAT ON AN ESCALATOR!

Needless to say, after that, my wife says if there isn’t an elevator, she isn’t going up or down using any escalator. Can’t say I blame her either!

August 12, 2010 at 3:49 am
(19) tan loo sie says:

I have ban croc shoes in my family . After reading about many cases of accidents wrt crocs shoes , I didint take any actions until one day ………. myself , as an adult , had my croc shoes stuck in between two steps of the escalator halfway through , and I was thrown forward and thank goodness, my husband was in front to break my fall and I caught hold of him . Fortunately , I managed to hop forward and landed safely at the top end of escalator – without losing any toes – and all this time , holding on to my young baby .

October 26, 2011 at 3:12 am
(20) air jordan retro outlet says:

I have ban croc shoes in my family . After reading about many cases of accidents wrt crocs shoes , I didint take any actions until one day . myself , as an adult , had my croc shoes stuck in between two steps of the escalator halfway through , and I was thrown forward and thank goodness, my husband was in front to break my fall and I caught hold of him . Fortunately , I managed to hop forward and landed safely at the top end of escalator without losing any toes and all this time , holding on to my young baby .

September 6, 2012 at 9:53 pm
(21) shanon sporseen says:

I just stumbled back on this site and thought I would share that although we had an injury, we didnt need the mall’s ridiculous insurance, but it was necessary to demand that they get the escalator up to code. Hope that helps anyone going through similar experiences:)