But take it from me, colorful shoes are a great way to bring color to your wardrobe. You can wear shoes in colors that you wouldn't dream of wearing near your face.
Here are a few tips on which shoe colors go best with certain clothing colors.
- Black shoes: nearly anything except pastels and some earth tones -- but even then, if black is repeated elsewhere in the outfit, black shoes can be a dynamic choice.
- Brown shoes: shades of tan, brown, beige, orange, greens, and darker earth tones.
- Tan/Light Brown shoes: lighter earth tones, blue, beige, lighter tan or white.
- Cream/Taupe shoes: whites, light neutrals, and pastels.
- White shoes: light neutrals, brights, and pastels.
- Silver shoes: pastels, as well as with white, black, blues and purples.
- Gray shoes: blacks, blues, grays, reds, as well as some purples and yellows.
- Gold shoes: greens, reds, browns, and they usually look good with black and white as well.
Artists use a color wheel to determine how one color will work with another. Complementary colors (those that are opposite of each other on the color wheel) will create an bold contrast when paired together, while colors that are next to each other will create a more harmonious look.